Thursday, June 10, 2010

Take Care in our Thoughts

Happiness is a state of mind. Be careful what we fill our minds with and be happy.

Being informed is a good thing and knowledge helps us make sound decisions. However, I find myself filtering what I am willing to read, listen to, look at and think about. The filtering process is simple. As I scan a story, I consider how the information is useful to me and what I will do about the situation. Some news is simply fun. I like to follow some of the sports teams. It is 'useful' to me because I am entertained. Some of the news helps to shape my opinion about politicians and world views. I use this information when I vote or e-mail politicians and news outlets. Some information, like Hatti's tragedy, is good because I sent money to help.

However, most of the news is trash and all of the exploitative photographs and some of the real-life situations are things I can live without.

One reason we live in fear and anxiety is because we consume 24-hours of news about violence that is halfway around the world. I am not talking about our military. I am talking about murders, rapes and carjackings in China, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami and everywhere else I never visit. By the end of the week, I see danger everywhere.

The reality is that in my community there is very little crime and it is all petty crime. Even in the colonias of Acuna, where I often walk, there is relatively little crime.

I like to avoid bad and worrisome thoughts. Either I do something to improve the situation or I leave it in God's hands. There is very little to be upset about. Being depressed and worried can often be avoided if we work at it.

This past week I lost my new iPad. Absolute carelessness on my part! It may have been stolen from my unlocked car. This iPad was a substantial investment and contained all of my personal information. No problem. I changed all of the passwords on my accounts and now do not have an iPad. I will monitor my credit report. Other than feeling careless and foolish, I am not really all that concerned.

You see, I lost the iPad while in the colonias learning about an 8-year old girl named Carmen. I met her a few weeks ago and began helping her family because this child has cancer. On the day I lost my iPad, I was back at Carmen's house and learned that she will lose her eye. The doctor said that the entire eye and eye socket will be removed because the cancer is spreading. Carmen is 8-years old. Her mother and Carmen have real problems. I only did something stupid and lost an iPad.

Today, I worked in my flowerbed for an hour and considered ways to raise more funding to help more children like Carmen. The flowers are doing great and the weeds are now gone. I hope I can keep weeds out of my mind.

Want to do a little weeding of your own? Check out my website at paperhouses.org

No comments:

Post a Comment